Sunday, December 26, 2010

Happiness is...

Yesterday, being Christmas, was spent with my family, and of course resulted in some serious food indulgences. My grandmother hosted this year, and as matriarch, maintains all the familial archives on my mother’s side of the family (read: photographs).
My grandma has kept pretty much everything, and remembers everyone in the photos – some of these photos are about 100 years old. Included in amongst the photos was the first letter I ever sent to my great-grandma, written just as I was learning to write. I’m not at all sure what the context of the letter was, though I think it's pretty cute.

 
In truth - my handwriting has only gone downhill from there - who knew your handwriting could peak at the age of 5??
Cute letters aside, my Aunty (a psychologist by trade) was asking where she could obtain a copy of those kitsch old 70’s comics “happiness is”. Remember them? Despite being unable to assist with the query, it got me to thinking about what happiness is. It’s my firm contention that happiness is a close relative of “satisfaction”, but is only very distantly related to “euphoria”. That is, happiness means contentment, and only sometimes floating on cloud 9.

Anyway, having thought about it for about 24 hrs, here’s a few of my happiness is moments:
  • Having a sparkly new pedicure, where the nail polish is so super-glossy I can see my reflection
  • Climbing into a freshly made bed after shaving my legs (ahhh, smoooooth)
  • The first sip of freshly made coffee, consumed while sitting on the veranda when it’s quiet on the street
  • The glorious sensation of the cool water around my ankles while I walk along the beach on a hot day
  • Having great big belly laughs – especially when I laugh so hard I cry
  • A great big bear hug, just when I need it
  • Having someone compliment a scarf I’ve knitted
  • The sensation of passing a subject that I’m worried I’ve failed
  • Sharing a bottle of French champagne with those I  love
Special thanks to my Aunty for reminding me that happiness really is all about enjoying the little things in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment