Friday, November 5, 2010

It's moll, not mole...

Earlier today, I caught myself saying to a former colleague (who was lamenting his teenage daughter’s misadventures) “don’t worry; there’ll come a time when your daughter says I’m sorry. I was a painful moll”.
There are a few things to consider here:
1.       It’s my experience that upon entering their early twenties, most young women emerge from the hormone haze and apologise;  but if I’m wrong, I’ve given the dude false hope that his daughter will become semi-human one day;
2.       How is it that so many people misspell the word moll?? Owing to Kylie Mole’s 80’s fame, and the word’s recent resurgence, so many people I know spell it ‘mole’, not ‘moll’; and
3.       Given I’m not using the word correctly myself, it’s slightly hypocritical to get hung up on incorrect spelling, when I’m accidentally calling this chap’s teenage daughter a prostitute.
Not my smoothest move. My case in point:
–noun Slang.
1.
2.
Archaic . a prostitute.

Thanks http://www.dictionary.com/. Thanks for reaffirming my spectacular case of foot in mouth.

In other adventures...tonight brings a myriad joy: study, study, and subsequent successful avoidance of study.
I promise myself so regularly that I will become a diligent student of law. As my marks demonstrate, I’m very successful at lying to myself. And now I’ve tortured myself by going to www.zenhabits.net/ - a site I like to visit to refocus my mind. Tonight’s topic? Procrastination....the irony.

No comments:

Post a Comment