Saturday, November 27, 2010

Stoked!


There's an amazing new exhibition at the Museum of Brisbane called The Stoke. The exhibition documents the history of skateboarding in Brisbane, and is seriously awesome. Wall upon wall of Schmitt Stix, Powell Peraltas and Vision Gators.

I bored my cohort to death with stories of me sporting a bowl cut and high-top converse in the eighties; tick-tacking madly to keep up with my brother while we rocked around the streets on our boards (mine was his old hand-me-down). I had wild dreams of landing massive ollies, and sliding with grace and ease down the concrete gutters in our neighbourhood. These dreams were shattered when my natural clumsiness revealed itself - I came flying off after my board came to a shuddering halt on a rock in the middle of the road. My board stopped, but I kept going, landing in an ungainly fashion and giving myself a minor hairline fracture of the thumb.



Resplendent in the middle of the exhibition is a replica of the skate bowl from the Mooroka Skate Shed. Three dudes were mucking around on it today, grinding on the rails and generally having a cracking time.

I love this image - a dude making the most of the sculpture that sits outside the Brisbane Magistrates Court.



I plan on heading back in there for another look soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment